FLETC Threat Assessment and Threat Management Virtual Training Opportunity
The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) is hosting a free three-part updated virtual Threat Assessment and Threat Management (TATM) training the first week of November 2023.
Session One, Introduction to Threat Assessment for Targeted Violence Prevention, provides an overview of basic threat assessment theories and concepts. This session describes current research-based models of threat assessment, which focus on identifying opportunities for intervention based on observable factors and behaviors that may indicate a person of concern is at risk of committing targeted violence. Research, reading, and resources for team members will also be discussed.
Thursday, November 9 – 1:30-3:30 PM (EST)
Session Two, Introduction to Threat Management for Targeted Violence Prevention, provides an overview of basic threat management theories and concepts. This session focuses on intervention and managing behaviors of people of concern through the public health perspective to prevent targeted violence. Research, reading, and resources for team members will also be discussed. Completion of Introduction to Threat Assessment for Targeted Violence Prevention is highly recommended but not required.
Thursday, November 15 – 10:00-11:00 AM (EST)
Session Three, Targeted Violence Case Study: 2019 Attack on the Virginia Beach, VA Municipal Center, provides a brief review of basic concepts associated with targeted violence, threat assessment, and threat management for targeted violence prevention. It will then include a detailed analysis of the 2019 attack on the Virginia Beach (VA) Municipal Center, along with an analysis of the attacker’s circumstances and behaviors leading up to the attack. Completion of both Introduction to Threat Assessment for Targeted Violence Prevention and Introduction to Threat Management for Targeted Violence Prevention is highly recommended but not required.
Registration for this session is open to an expanded audience, including:
- Sworn Law Enforcement (Federal, State, Local, Tribal and Territorial)
- Direct Law Enforcement Support Personnel
- School Staff (Administrators, Principals, Vice Principals, Non-Sworn School Resource Officers, Guidance Counselors, Teachers/Professors)
- House of Worship Staff (Clergy, Administrative Personnel, Security Team Members)
- Mental Health Professionals (Clinicians, Social Workers, Psychologists, Psychiatrists)
- Hospital Administrative/Security Staff
- Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP) members
- Federal Employees (.gov email addresses)
- State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Government Employees
(Please note: Non-Law Enforcement registrants will need to clarify their work-related role in the threat assessment and threat management process prior to acceptance by sending an email to email@example.com. FLETC may also contact their supervisor to verify official responsibilities before approving the registration application.)